Titanic in Cobh
RMS Titanic, built at the Harland and Wolfe shipyard in Belfast Ireland, undertook her first and only voyage in April 1912. She was marketed as the biggest and most luxurious liner to date. Ironically she was deemed to be one of the safest ships afloat.
Cobh, her last port of call, was called Queenstown at the time. The last passengers to board the ship for its intended journey to New York boarded there. Of the one hundred and twenty three who did so, only forty four survived. Today, the original buildings, streets and piers of a century ago are still standing.
Having anchored briefly at the entrance to Cork harbour to transfer her passengers and mail to and from Cobh, Titanic set sail on what became one of the most notorious maritime stories of tragedy. The ship struck an iceberg on the night of April 14th 1912 and foundered with the loss of over 1500 passengers early on the morning of the 15th.